Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Daddy's Wonderful Radio.

When I was a little girl, my dad had what I thought was the most amazing radio in the world.
 It had the regular AM stations, but it also had a shortwave band. Sometimes he would turn on the shortwave and we listened to what sounded like Chinese, and other strange and wonderful languages. 
Mostly, it wasn't anything that we could understand, but it was sure a lot of fun listening to it anyway.
The radio had a big bright green "eye" that would get wider and narrower as he tuned it in to the station. Sometimes, the radio made really weird sounds as he was finding the station and getting it tuned in.

My favorite singer was (of course) Roy Rogers, and I loved it when the announcer at KSPT, our local radio station, would say that they were "calling Roy Rogers up to the mic".

 I envisioned the radio station with all the singers just sitting around there in chairs, waiting to be "called up to the mic".

One day, my dad had to go to the station, and asked if I wanted to go along.    I was beside myself with joy !   
 Roy Rogers ! 
I was going to see Roy Rogers, and maybe even watch him sing.
I could hardly wait to get there ! ! 


When we got there, we walked inside, and I looked around, but there were NO singers, and NO Roy Rogers, anywhere. 

Finally, I tugged on Daddy's sleeve, and whispered "Where is Roy Rogers at ?"
He gave me a blank look, so I had to explain that I wanted to meet Roy Rogers and watch him sing. How disappointed I was when Watt Moreland ( the announcer)  gently explained to me that none of the singers were really there, and he was just playing records.


Radio was never the same for me again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment